- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1/4 c water
- 1/4 medium onion diced
- 1/4 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 – 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce chopped
- 1 pkg flour tortillas
- 1 pint sour cream 1 8oz jar of your favorite salsa.
- Cheddar or Mexican blend shredded chesse
- Brown fround beef over medium heat. Add pkg taco season and 1/4 c water. Cook another 5-7 minutes allowing water to evaporate.
- Cut all vegetable toppings and place in separate bowls.
- Open pkg of tortillas and warm for 1 minutes microwave.
- Leave spoons in each ingredient to add to tortillas.In our home each person layers the ingredients on the tortilla as they like it. (I like mine full of equal parts veggies and meat. Topped generously with salsa and sour cream. If available I enjoy a bit of guacamole as well.)
- If you fill tortilla to full, you will need a fork and plenty of napkins.
- Roll tortilla tucking ends as you go. They are less likely to break or tear if warmed.
- Enjoy. We eat holding bottom firmly in place. Be cautious when setting down or they can unroll.
- Juices may leak from seams so keep a napkin close by.
by Mission Foods
These are an easy substitute to go low carb or keto.
There are so many options you can use with this basic idea. Substitute chicken, fish or steak, for ground beef. Avocado, refried beans, black beans, corn salsa, rice, cabbage. Any kind of cheese you like. Or use tortilla chips, top and warn for ultimate loaded nachos. Skip the tortillas entirely and add more lettuce for a great salad option. These make a great party food as well. Try some until you find your favorite. Try a new variation for Cinco de Mayo, or make it a game day treat. It’s really fun to try them all.
Ingredients2 lbs sirloin steak sliced ultra thin
2 medium bell peppers
1/2 onion cut into strips
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 cup beef broth
4 cups cooked rice
2 tsp olive oil
2 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in waterCalphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick Cookware, Deep Skillet, 13-inch, Black
- Once steak and veggies are sliced heat medium skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add steak. Cook 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and onions. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and beef broth.
- Add cornstarch and reduce heat to low.
- When sauce thickens serve warm or cool and freeze for an easy weeknight meal. We serve over rice. Or cauliflower rice for a low carb, keto, option.
1 Yellow or White cake mix ( I usually use a Duncan Hines)Butter, eggs and oil or water as directed.
1 lg container of cool whip
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup milk or heavy cream
Cinnamon to sprinkle on top.
- Mix batter according to direction.
- Pour into pan. I like a 9″ x 13″ pan myself.
- Bake as directed.
- Cool completely
- In separate bowl mix your 3 milks or tres leche, 1 can sweetened condensed, 1 can evaporated, and 1 cup regular milk or heavy cream with a wisk. Set aside.
- Once cake is completely cool use a large wooden spoon handle to pole holes through out cake.
- Gently pour milk mixture over the back of your spoon to ensure you don’t make a crater in your cake.
- Let rest till all milk mixture is absorbed. Yes it will all disappear below the surface.
- Spread on lg container cool whip, in even layer on top of cake.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
Enjoy this moist, delicious cake any time. I even made it for my husbands birthday cake. Just be careful with candles.
This is fall or winter comfort food everyone looks forward to. If you don’t know this yet I worked in retail for almost 20 years. It makes it challenging to serve a home-cooked meal for dinner. Especially when there are dietary observances in play. I perfected this with the help of my best friend my Crockpot. You can do it on the stove in about an hour if you have to. Letting everything blend over that longer period in the Crockpot, gives it a deeper taste. Again it is really good right off the stove too.
The Ingredients2 – lbs ground chuck or beef
2 – 15 oz cans black beans no salt added, drained ( in this instance I buy Great Value or Walmart brand. There are also less carbs than in other brands)
2 cans Diced Green Chili’s
4 – 14.25oz cans Diced Tomatoes no salt added (great value brand had the least cabs)
2 – 1.25oz pkgs Chili seasoning (pick your favorite brand and heat. We use mild, either McCormick or Great value)
1 medium onion diced
1/2 medium green pepper diced
- Brown meat, drain if needed. Leave a little for the onions and green pepper. Continue cooking till onions become translucent. (I do this night before if using my Crockpot.)
- Add green chilis and seasoning mixes with 1/4 cup water.
- Once evenly mixed add tomatoes and beans.
- Simmer covered on low 20 minutes for stove top, or 4 hours on low in Crockpot.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
- We like to top ours with fresh green onion, shredded sharp cheddar, and a spoonful of dour cream.
Nothing beats coming in after a long day to a warm, satisfying, meal. It’s even better when the temperature drops or rainy evenings. Also goes great with game day and Superbowl!
The International Day of Friendship is a United Nations (UN) day that promotes the role that friendship plays in promoting peace in many cultures. It is observed on July 30 each year.
In 2011, the UN proclaimed the International Day of Friendship with the idea that friendship between peoples, countries, and cultures can inspire peace efforts and build bridges between communities. The UN wanted for the day to involve young people, as future leaders, in community activities that include different cultures and promote international understanding and respect for diversity.
July 30 is also National Cheesecake Day, so treat yourself with a slice (or two) of this decadent dessert made of cream cheese, eggs, sugar, and a graham cracker crust.
This is a savory meal that will make you forget you’re dieting. I make mine low-carb for our diabetic friendly family. I make it with more meat and veggies. We skip the regular mashed potatoes. For a low carb or keto version, you can do parmesan and cheddar cheeses with mashed cauliflower now available in most stores.
Another trick is to use red or yellow potatoes instead. The texture is slightly different, but the carb count is lower and they are low on the glycemic index. What’s that? It’s a chart of how easily your body can convert things to sugar.
This is a great way to stay on target. It gives regular shoppers alternatives to high sugar and simple carb foods. We’ve been using this method for over 10 years. Best of all lots of items can be substituted into Keto and Paleo diets.
We started using this in conjunction with low carb dieting to keep type 2 diabetes in check. We happily report it has taken us back to pre-diabetic status. We have both lost weight and feel better even when we don’t stay as strictly to diet as we should. Hey, sometimes I just need chocolate ok.
Jen’s Easy Shepard’s Pie
1 1/2 lb ground chuck or round
1 package Steam and mash Ore-Ida potatoes Frozen (or low carb substitutions. Parmesan cauliflower is really good).
1 pkg frozen mixed vegetables (California mix is better for carb counts)
4 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Italian Seasoning (dried)
1 cup chopped onion
2 pkg Brown gravy mix
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt (I skip this there is enough in gravy mix.)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/3c water (if it’s too wet it’s a big mess)
- Heat 2 Tbsp Olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add Beef, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Brown beef, about 5 min.
- If not using cast iron or oven safe pan, turn into cassarole dish.
- Mix 2 pkg brown gravy mix with 1/3 cup water. Mix well and pour over beef and vegetable mix. Stir well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Make topping with mashed potatoes or cauliflower.
- For topping add 4 Tbsp butter, 1/2 c milk, and dash of salt and pepper to potatoes. (If using cauliflower add parmesan and cheddar cheeses, salt and pepper.)
- Spread potatoes or cauliflower over filling. Cover completely.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F about 20 minutes.
- Top with sharp cheddar cheese.
- Put under broiler in oven for 5 minutes. Watch to make sure top is not over done. Serve hot.
These are great to freeze to. We put them in those aluminum pie pans or sealing dish. Freeze until needed. Simply defrost and warm. Those pans go easily from freezer to oven and table. If it seems flimsy simply place on on a baking sheet for ease of carrying
This is a great red, white, and blue dish for any patriotic holiday. It gets even better if you switch out the fruits like kiwi instead of blueberries and leave the strawberries with your bananas and you just got Christmas colors. This lucious, fluff like treat is always one of the first things to disappear at our parties.
Cheesecake Fruit Salad
These are for the red, white, and blue version.
1 pint fresh blueberries
1 lbs fresh strawberries
3 fresh bananas, chopped to bite size
1 pint fresh raspberries
1 lg 24.3 oz Philadelphia Cheesecake filling
1 16 oz container of Cool Whip
4 cups mini marshmallows
1 tsp real Vanilla extract
2 Tbsp heavy cream or milk
- Prepare strawberries by removing stem and chop into small peices.
- In large bowl combine cheesecake filling, vanilla, and milk. Mix u till smooth.
- Fold in 1/2 of Cool Whip
- Fold in fruit, marshmallows, and remaining Cool Whip
- Keep chilled.