National Jewel Day is observed March 13th of every year. While this day may be a day to give or receive jewelry, it could also be a day to recognize jewelers. It may also be a day to wear those gems you may already have!
Jewelry is like finding the perfect dress. You know the one I’m talking about. It can be new or an older favorite. When you see yourself in the mirror it enlivens your spirit, gives your confidence a boost, and no matter what you have a day better than others.
Favorite jewelry is the same be it a lucky pair of earrings, your special necklace or a ring that reminds of happy times. These are often a tangible link to a memory you hold dear. This is why we both buy and receive jewelry.
I was born in October which makes my birthstone an Opal. Now I’m extremely fair-skinned with red hair. I feel better when I wear Blue Topaz that enhances my blue eyes. Indeed I often get more compliments on my blue eyes when I wear it.
My wedding ring reminds me of all the happiness my husband and I have shared. Sure it hasn’t always been rosy, but I wouldn’t choose anything different. We just celebrated another year together knowing that we are even stronger today than when we started. I kept my original, but I got an upgrade on our Anniversary! See below.
So find your favorites. Whether you receive it as a gift or buy it yourself, these are the nudges to our memories. Best of all they can be shared and passed on to the next generation. Hopefully, some of the memories and stories go with them. Before you know it you have heirlooms worth so much more than mere money.
One last tip I learned as a jeweler. A good piece of jewelry can last as long as the memories tied to them. The real thing with proper care can be passed on for better than hundreds of years. Make sure you consult a professional for cleanings, repair, and periodic checks. Some of the things I’ve heard used to clean for instance would make you cringe. I’ve also seen both gems and setting ruined from these practices.
Birthstones by Month
- January – Garnet
- February – Amethyst
- March – Aquamarine
- April – Diamond
- May – Emerald
- June – Pearl
- July – Ruby
- August – Peridot
- September – Sapphire
- October – Opal
- November – Yellow Topaz, Citrine
- December – Tanzanite, Zircon, Blue Topaz
HOW TO OBSERVE
Buy some jewelry, make some yourself or sign up for a class to learn the art of jewelry making. Freshen up your everyday attire with a little bling and use #NationalJewelDay to post on social media.
So with Valentines day fast approaching most women have already purchased their gifts or have a good idea of what to get for Valentines. I for instance only have to buy cards for hubby and friends whom get gifts. Now if you ask my hubby or most men they not only don’t know what they are getting anyone. For a large percentage they didn’t realize the date was anywhere close. So as they are figuring out what to get, you can help with input. They are actually releaved to be “told what to buy”. Subtlultey is a lost cause here.
Jewelry is one of the favorites , but there are some distinct differences out there and you need information to help you, help him to have a vague idea down to a specific piece you have tried on or like. If the later, let a sales person give you all the info on the piece, then leave card in a place he’s sure to find. That goes for an add you saw too.
Reguadles of who is picking out the piece it is important to follow these tips.
- Fashion or fine if it’s on an open sales floor or made of base metals in China it will unfortunately not last very long. I know that it’s more expensive, however buying fine will give a reminder through many years how much you are loved. That little expense I guarantee you have earned as his/her partner. Fine Jewelry not only features real gemstones, real gold, silver, or platinum, it will not turn your skin green and will become a cherished momentous to hand down to generations to come.
- Big terms like exclusive collection,open hears, Tawalski , Leo, LeVian, and assorted collections are called such for precision cuts inflicted, more faucets than in a normal cut, made by a designer which may or may not improve the quality. Some like LeVian have great examples of high quality gems. Master craftmanship, and rarity are the hallmarks of this brand. If they were good enough for Persian royalty, where they got their start, chances are it will be the envy of all your friends.
- Lastly there are simple signs of quality to look for in any piece. In the USA all metals are required to be stamped. Gold is 10k, 14,18k or 24k. For durability reasons you should stay 14k and under. Pure silver and gold are both soft other metals like copper,zinc, nickel, or others are added for durability. Sterling silver for instance, is .925 that is 75% pure silver. White and yellow golds are done the same way. Even platinum has to stamped”plat” there are others but these are the most common.
- Gems in fine jewelry are real, simulated, or created. The most valuable are determined by color, clarity, and sparkle, like diamonds. Real gems can range in color and have differing hardness. A lot of more expensive or softer stones are created in a lab. Color, size, quality are the same. A simulant is glass or paste. These or plastic is used in fashion jewelry.
- The best gifts are the ones she’ll wear over and over. Which option you choose can be a factor. A necklace or pendant are normally safest unless she is handling small children. Rings need to be sized and generally need maintenance every couple years. It is recommended to have evaluation from jeweler every six moths. This will lead to fewer repairs. Even the most careful of us need some annual check up and or repair. Like auto repairs the earlier it’s caught the less it will run in repairs.
- Some women adore hearts for Valentine’s, others may prefer the newer styles of Pandora, LeVian, Simply Love by Vera Lang, Open Hearts by Jane Seymour, Love Knot, Past Present Future, Ever US to name a few collections out there.
- Prices will vary if you go to a jewelry only store like, Kayes, Jared, Sales, etc. Will carry more of said collections, and will carry more expensive items. To save try jewelry stores like JcPenney, Kohls, Sears, Some Sam’s Clubs,and Macy’s will be more affordable. I do not recommend Wal-Mart or Kmart, over some big box stores simply based on consumer experiences I’ve seen over the years of my career.
- Not all women want jewelry, I know it sounds funny to some of but please remember your Valentine actually loves you enough to spend quite a bit of time finding you the perfect gift. Remember the main part of the gift is the love it took to get it. As one of my girlfriend’s likes to say,’when a two year old hands you a phone saying they are calling for you’ you answer the phone. Leave pictures of what you want in places he can’t help but see them l. I accept all gifts because I would not be able to take my husbands love back to a store. So what do you want this Valentine’s Day. Comment your favorites, and if you have jewelry questions i’ll try to answer, I do not work for any stores. May you have all the love you deserve…..yes that includes Cheerios breakfast in bed from the kids.
I made it !! I just had my 36th Birthday! Anyone who is close to me knows that not too long ago the goal was to reach this age. I’m not going to say its been easy… I would like to think i’ve weathered the last few years withpoise and grace. Overall I believe i’ve done rather well, even when thoroughly aggravated or hit a low spot along the way . What started as a stroke via a burst vessel in my brain, is now a long recovery where we didn’t know how much damage there would be to regaining normal vision and balance. I had to have specialized therapy to drink normal beverages and to walk again. All the therapy and another brain surgery to remove some of the things that initially saved my life. Turns out the tube had been giving me aweful dizziness and vertigo symptoms sometime just sitting up in bed. That is how i spent my birthday one year later. Last year my Christmas was spent clearing more complications this time in the form of a cyst from the original bleed that as it grew unoticed pressed on my spinal cord cutting off the messages my brain sent to my legs. I was so excited when post surgery and enough drugs to stand sitting up i could wiggle my toes. I had read of people s o happy they cried but this was my first experience with that kind of joy. Why am i telling you all this? I implore people to stop living with regrets and procrastinación about your feelings. Embrace how you feel and live the gift of life you’ve been given . Smile, laugh, cry, express your feelings , don’t wait to say i love you, do not hesitate to clear the air with those closest to you. Start with the general stuff as we focus on giving thanks, endevore to make it a habit to look at all we have to be thankful for the whole year long. Moms and dad’s, granparents, aunts and uncles, friends and coworkers, and most of all everyday you wake up to the prescious gift of children. I have a new niece and nephew to spoil and my brothers oldest daughter who will start school soon. I am so blessed that i get to meet them and watch them grow. So as the hustle of the holidays begins, remember to take time to appreciate all the blessings you already have . Siblings, parents, friends, aunts, and uncles, never miss the chance to tell them how special they are to you.