Are you feeling left out of the Valentine’s Day love fest without a partner? Look around my friends no one is totally alone. How can I say that while your head wags no, and you are convinced I have no idea what I’m talking about? Well okay you can sit on the sofa lamenting your alone status or make it day and night to wallow in the love surrounding us everyday….even stuff we don’t see!
Children are a special love, and will be honored to be your Valentine. Having happiness and love is a choice! Children give unconditionally they love mommy, daddy, brother, sister, Aunt, Uncle, Grandparents, and all honorary family too. Trust me if it involves chocolate the kids are all for it. You’ll get hand painted Valentine’s made just for you. I found these on Pinterest and they look too adorable to not make these.
SUPPLIES FOR VALENTINE’S DAY LOVE BUGS
What are your plans? Going out? Staying in? Homemade dinner for two, or a popular restaurant? Whatever it may be, let us know. Share some pics on our Facebook page. Have fun enjoy every second. My hubby surprised me with flowers, chocolate,and white chocolate macadamia nuts….my favorites! Stay safe.
So with Valentines day fast approaching most women have already purchased their gifts or have a good idea of what to get for Valentines. I for instance only have to buy cards for hubby and friends whom get gifts. Now if you ask my hubby or most men they not only don’t know what they are getting anyone. For a large percentage they didn’t realize the date was anywhere close. So as they are figuring out what to get, you can help with input. They are actually releaved to be “told what to buy”. Subtlultey is a lost cause here.
Jewelry is one of the favorites , but there are some distinct differences out there and you need information to help you, help him to have a vague idea down to a specific piece you have tried on or like. If the later, let a sales person give you all the info on the piece, then leave card in a place he’s sure to find. That goes for an add you saw too.
Reguadles of who is picking out the piece it is important to follow these tips.
- Fashion or fine if it’s on an open sales floor or made of base metals in China it will unfortunately not last very long. I know that it’s more expensive, however buying fine will give a reminder through many years how much you are loved. That little expense I guarantee you have earned as his/her partner. Fine Jewelry not only features real gemstones, real gold, silver, or platinum, it will not turn your skin green and will become a cherished momentous to hand down to generations to come.
- Big terms like exclusive collection,open hears, Tawalski , Leo, LeVian, and assorted collections are called such for precision cuts inflicted, more faucets than in a normal cut, made by a designer which may or may not improve the quality. Some like LeVian have great examples of high quality gems. Master craftmanship, and rarity are the hallmarks of this brand. If they were good enough for Persian royalty, where they got their start, chances are it will be the envy of all your friends.
- Lastly there are simple signs of quality to look for in any piece. In the USA all metals are required to be stamped. Gold is 10k, 14,18k or 24k. For durability reasons you should stay 14k and under. Pure silver and gold are both soft other metals like copper,zinc, nickel, or others are added for durability. Sterling silver for instance, is .925 that is 75% pure silver. White and yellow golds are done the same way. Even platinum has to stamped”plat” there are others but these are the most common.
- Gems in fine jewelry are real, simulated, or created. The most valuable are determined by color, clarity, and sparkle, like diamonds. Real gems can range in color and have differing hardness. A lot of more expensive or softer stones are created in a lab. Color, size, quality are the same. A simulant is glass or paste. These or plastic is used in fashion jewelry.
- The best gifts are the ones she’ll wear over and over. Which option you choose can be a factor. A necklace or pendant are normally safest unless she is handling small children. Rings need to be sized and generally need maintenance every couple years. It is recommended to have evaluation from jeweler every six moths. This will lead to fewer repairs. Even the most careful of us need some annual check up and or repair. Like auto repairs the earlier it’s caught the less it will run in repairs.
- Some women adore hearts for Valentine’s, others may prefer the newer styles of Pandora, LeVian, Simply Love by Vera Lang, Open Hearts by Jane Seymour, Love Knot, Past Present Future, Ever US to name a few collections out there.
- Prices will vary if you go to a jewelry only store like, Kayes, Jared, Sales, etc. Will carry more of said collections, and will carry more expensive items. To save try jewelry stores like JcPenney, Kohls, Sears, Some Sam’s Clubs,and Macy’s will be more affordable. I do not recommend Wal-Mart or Kmart, over some big box stores simply based on consumer experiences I’ve seen over the years of my career.
- Not all women want jewelry, I know it sounds funny to some of but please remember your Valentine actually loves you enough to spend quite a bit of time finding you the perfect gift. Remember the main part of the gift is the love it took to get it. As one of my girlfriend’s likes to say,’when a two year old hands you a phone saying they are calling for you’ you answer the phone. Leave pictures of what you want in places he can’t help but see them l. I accept all gifts because I would not be able to take my husbands love back to a store. So what do you want this Valentine’s Day. Comment your favorites, and if you have jewelry questions i’ll try to answer, I do not work for any stores. May you have all the love you deserve…..yes that includes Cheerios breakfast in bed from the kids.
Affiliate Links on this page.
Not the song that’s stirring so much this year. I’m talking about the cold weather. I know most of the country, are watching the weather maps and hating Florida. While we are not buried under several feet of snow, it’s too cold for us. The earnest day here gets a high of 62 this week.
Not to disappoint or irritate anyone, I do not live where we have subzero temps with bitting wind chill. We get our fair share of cooler weather. Last week our high was only in the 40’s. Had to wear socks and shoes other than flip flops. What gets us is the humidity down here. In summer the moisture in the air guarantees afternoon showers with only 20% precipitation. It weighs heavily on everything during our hot and humid months. Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, Texas… you all get the same conditions.
What makes those frigid lows so bad here? We have no supplies nor experience in these conditions. This year we may get some snow and ice. Natives like me who were born here have very seldom even see it (unless on holiday somewhere north) or have moved here from cold climates. My hubby hails from Wisconsin, and we have other family there and in Missouri. He refuses to drive even with all his experience doing so.
It’s not the sleet, snow, ice, or even blizzard conditions that keep us off the roads unless absolutely necessary. No my friends he will not drive with my fellow southerners who cannot drive in it. “I freely admit this”. We have no chains, snow tires, and the most salt we see is on the rim of a Margarita glass.
This winter has been an interesting season so I thought with snow and ice reaching as far south as Tampa it would be a good time to remind ourselves of cold weather preperations since it’s not over yet.
For most of us it’s not very different from hurricane prep. Batteries, water, food, prescriptions, and extra warm blankets are just a few. Those who didn’t know before Hurricane Michael should refresh your memories, or learn for the first time.
- Take measures to protect people, property, plants, and pets.
- Store some extra gallons of water in case of frozen or burst pipes.
- Have cold weather attire. 60% of body heat is lost from the top of your head. Warm knitted hats are helpful, and those that block wind can be added if needed outside.
- I love my Isotoner gloves! The soft inner layer keeps hands toasty warm while the leather outer layer blocks both the wind and wet, your hands may come into contact with.
- If your hat doesn’t cover them you may want to consider ear muffs. Since I have grown my hair long again I generally leave it down to help.
- Invest in a warm outside coat. Wool pea coats ( I got mine at JCPENNEY) still one of the best and as most are lined they are very effective. I prefer mine in a longer trench length for days I may wear a long skirt.
- Wrap outside or exposed pipes in fabric or foam. If you have something like a Dollar Store pool noodle, cut for length and secure with zip tie. Protection that will hold up all year long.
- Move potted plants inside or cover with plastic sheeting, to create green house warmth around the plants.
- Bring animals indoors. If it’s too cold for you it’s too cold for them.
- Make sure if you cannot bring animals indoors that they have heated shelter from the weather, and plenty of food and water.
- Great story with happy ending for caring for community cats.
As for me well I just got a notice that the temps are going back into freezing this weekend. I’m also goning to order some more Florida Sunshine, to go with the hearty recipes inspired by the cold. We are out of our stash we got for Christmas. With colds and flu’s on the rise the citrus will help our systems ward them off. Stay warm my friends. How do you stay warm this winter? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below or drop us an email at. firstname.lastname@example.org
Okay thought this would be a good time to review the basics as we once again face possible storms. Most items gathered here are for almost all natural disasters Mother Nature throws our way. All household members should know what to do in case of any kind of emergency, Get a plan for Hurricanes, Tornado, Fire, Flooding, some even recommend for home invasion and terror attacks. We also have a nuclear power facility and chemical plant near by so keeping current on local news is a must.
For Hurricanes we use both our local news tv and radio, as well as alerts from our counties Emergency Management. The Alerts for sevalerts like severe storms, flash flooding, Amber, and security, Active shooters, Police chase or fatal crashes on roadways. They come direct to our phones so at home or on the gowe get the information to keep our family safe.
Click the link to see both an explanation of why and when we worry as well as a great list of items to include in your kit. We rotate the food items out to the pantry throughout the year and always have stock of what we might need. We are adding new things like solar chargers for cell phones and tablets, new flood blocking water dams, new medical devices and recently added the new super bright led flash lights that are super tough and the batteries last much longer than the old incandesenct style.
Keeping this ready the whole year through for us means if there is any major storm headed our way our only preperations include filling our water tanks, gasoline in vehicles and for generator, and get medication refills if needed. Get cash and a quick easy trip to buy any last minute needs, wash any dirty laundry, and make sure the house is clean so Mother Nature can bring it on!
Get cash back for shopping on Ebates! Sign up with my invite link for a $10 bonus when you shop at over 2,000 stores like eBay, Macy’s & Walmart.
We’ve all seen the meal prep plans where you prep a bunch of meals, throw it in a freezer bag, put it in the Crockpot and its an easy dinner. Well I’ve looked at quite a few, saved them on my Pintrest, but have been too lazy to do them. Well for those readers who don’t know I had a brain aneurysm about 5 years ago. Complications have landed me back in the hospital several times. So with my physical limitations we, that is my husband and I moved into my mom’s house. After my dad passed, my brothers took turns living there. They have both moved on and are starting families of their own. So we decided that with moms physical limitations and mine it would make a good compromise and save us both some money.
Up to now she does the majority of the cooking since I can not. However, with cataract surgery looming in the immediate future, we have to figure out an easy way to cook meals. She will not be able to bend over or lift more than 10 pounds.
My husband hates being in the kitchen, he’ll help me cook but, he must have step by step instructions and you can’t assume anything. He cannot boil water without the microwave. My sister-in-law now lives across the street and has offered to help out but, they have two small children at home and my brother works out-of-town for weeks at a time.
So an alternative is to try freezer to crockpot meal prep. It’s that or takeout and frankly its too expensive and very unhealthy. So here’s what happened…
After looking at various pins on the subject we decided to do a combination of our favorites and try very few we’ve never had. This required some adoptions of our normal favorite recipes. At the end of 2 days we have about 30 dinners in the freezer, ready to go. So here are the tried and true recipes we used.
2 Meat loaves Chili Chicken Caprese
Beef Stew 2 Moms Homemade Pizza 2 Spaghetti
Pepper Steak Beef tips with Mushrooms Pot Roast with vegetables
Mongolian Beef Broccoli Greek Turkey Burgers Pork Loin Roast
2 Lasagna Beef Stroganoff
Most are ready for a full day in the Crockpot. Some like the Ranch or Korean pork chops, Shrimp Scampi, Bratwurst, Liver and onions, Creamy Tuscan Salmon do not translate well to the freezer and are very easy prep and time to make day you want to enjoy. If you only want freezer to table just skip those. (I included them because they are favorites.) We took our time and since this was first time through. We spent time deciding what to make, how much and grocery list and shopping. With the hard work done, all you have to do is enjoy.
If you have a recipe we should add to our list we are open to new ideas to answer the age old question of “What’s for Dinner”. I hope this makes cooking easier and you get to enjoy the extra time not spent in the kitchen. By the way Mom’s surgery went well with no complications. We had so much fun doing it and seeing the valuable time it saves it will be happening more often in our home. So when you are tired after a busy day this is quick, healthier for your family and economical. A home cooked meal beats a take out burger and fries etc… anytime.
One last note…. My husband and I are both Diabetic so the recipes have been talored for special dietary meals and we must be doing something right since neither of us require drastic medical for the condition. Probably to many burgers and fries that put us here, but that’s my perspective.
More recipe links to come