National Panini Month is the perfect time to celebrate the hot, melty sandwich on a beautiful August day. Panini is derived from Italian origin and is basically a grilled sandwich made with non-sliced bread. National Panini Month is an opportunity to break the regular old sandwich habit and panini away!
A precursor of panini appeared in a 16th-century Italian cookbook but didn’t become popular 1970s and 1980s. In the 1980s young Italian hipster types who hung out in coffee-and-panini bars were known as “paninari.” The paninari revolted against the drabness of urban culture with colorful Italian fashion and a taste for fast food and “caferacer” motorcycles. Based in Milan, the paninaro craze spread across Italy. The British pop group Pet Shop Boys even recorded a song, Paniniaro, celebrating the paninari culture.
There are many different ways to make a panini, original ingredients, or your own creations its sure to hit the spot. Panini’s taste great with ciabatta, rosetta and baguette bread. Panini’s can be made from a variety of options. Paninis are especially good when pressed flat in a “panini press.” They resemble waffle irons, only with flat plates. A panini press is a versatile device. You can use it to make French toast, grilled cheese sandwiches, pita chips, omelets, pizza and your favorite breakfast sandwiches. Paninis go great with chili, coleslaw, French Fried potatoes, and your favorite soup!
I love this grill! I do chicken breasts, porkchops, steaks, fish, bacon comes out divine, and of course my Chipotle Turkey Panini. Works great for grilled cheese too. Sear on a steak? So easy and no worries about condensing water or other pan related issues.
I haven’t tried them all yet but this August seems like an ideal time to do so. With all the at home time, lunches just got a little more gourmet here. If you try these panini variations, let us know your thoughts in the comments.
- CAPRESE – Mozzarella (smoked optional), tomato and basil, cooked until golden.
- EGGPLANT-MOZZARELLA – Mozzarella (smoked optional), grilled eggplant and basil, cooked until golden.
- CAPRESE VARIATIONS – Anchovies and capers, or prosciutto and Parmesan cheese.
- PESTO TURKEY – A Caprese with pesto and slices of turkey breast.
- CHICKEN SALTIMBOCCA – Grilled chicken with pesto and prosciutto.
- APPLE-MANCHEGO – Apple slices and manchego cheese with olive oil and quince paste.
- THREE-MEAT – Sliced soppressata, capicola, salami, fontina and roasted red peppers.
Did I mention they can be wrapped in parchment paper for an easy lunch. Simply leave it wrapped and microwave for about a minute. One of these and a good cup of soup will help you get through the rest of your day.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Enjoy your favorite panini today! Use #NationalPaniniMonth in social media correspondence.
Sargento Foods, Inc. founded National Panini Month in 2008.
- adults Amazon Amazon Prime appreciation baby Bellas baby swiss back to school Bacon basil beef bowl bread camembert Caprese carb smart chili Chipolte ciabatta cilantro comfort food crusty grilled ham hot Italian Italy melty mozzarella Panini Pannini press pressed roast beef salami sandwich tomato Turkey