1 pie crust (I get mine premade in the refrigerated dough section. You can also make your favorite recipe for this. Cauliflower crust is really good)
1 small eggplant about 1 lb.
6 tbsp butter
1/2 c finely chopped onions
1 clove of garlic crushed (I like mine. minced so I use about a tsp minced).
1 lb ground chuck
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1/8 c chopped celery tops
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
Dash of black pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- Roll out pie crust to 11 inch circle. Fit into 9 inch pie plate. Crimp the edges, refrigerate till ready to use.
- Cut unpeeled eggplant into 1/2 inch cubes. Measure 2 cups.
- Add 4 Tbsp butter to medium sauce pan. Cook eggplant, covered 5 minutes then drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Melt rest of butter in lg skillet. Saute onions and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Add ground chuck and rest of ingredients. Mix well. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add eggplant to meat mixture. Turn into pie shell. Bake 45 – 60 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- I add shredded sharp cheddar to mine. I learned this one from my mom. The cheese gives it a little kick.
This is a great way to get extra veggies into your diet. While eggplant does have a mild flavor, when mixed like this my husband thought it was Shepherd’s pie for the longest time. That was actually my fault.
He told me he hates eggplant before I made it the first time. So I made it and didn’t tell him the eggplant was inside. (This works with kids to.) When he asked I just said it was Shepherd’s pie. He has loved it for more than our 15 years of our marriage. Yes, I did come clean and tell him it really was eggplant but he still loves it!
You can easily substitute the crust with a gluten free or keto option. I’ve done it with parmesan cheese or simply increase the chuck and forget the crust all together. Makes an incredible casserole too.