With the fall season change, we get cooler temperatures and football. We also get cold and flu season. At some point in your life, I’ll bet you’ve heard chicken soup is the popular choice when a cold or flu comes home with you. Turns out there are health benefits to this comfort food that can help you recover. I recommend making your own and stocking it in the freezer. As my husband is both diabetic and on a low salt diet, it’s easier to control the ingredients. It’s great on a just a winter evening or battling a bug. So here is my favorite recipe.AmazonBasics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven, 6-Quart, Blue
Homemade Chicken Soup
2-3 lbs chicken breasts or thighs
2 tsp olive oil
3 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
3 tsp grated ginger
1 medium onion diced
1 cup diced fresh carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
Pinch of red pepper flakes if desired.
2 cups uncooked egg noodles (use low carb options here if prefer)
Optional ingredients are 1 cup mushrooms, 16 oz fresh spinach, 2 cleaned and chopped leeks, 2 tsp turmeric, and 16 oz white beans. I only add some or all if making a more hearty main dish. Stick with less if using for cold and flu.
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. In a Dutch oven add 2 tsp olive oil and chopped chicken.
- Cook over medium-high heat until chicken is seared. (I like mine golden color for flavor).
- Add onions, garlic, and ginger. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add carrots, Italian seasoning, celery, and both black pepper and red pepper flakes if desired.
- Cook about 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add chicken broth. Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer on low heat for about 30 – 45 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Add cooked pasta. Cover. Let simmer 10 minutes.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1/4 c water
- 1/4 medium onion diced
- 1/4 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 – 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce chopped
- 1 pkg flour tortillas
- 1 pint sour cream 1 8oz jar of your favorite salsa.
- Cheddar or Mexican blend shredded chesse
- Brown fround beef over medium heat. Add pkg taco season and 1/4 c water. Cook another 5-7 minutes allowing water to evaporate.
- Cut all vegetable toppings and place in separate bowls.
- Open pkg of tortillas and warm for 1 minutes microwave.
- Leave spoons in each ingredient to add to tortillas.In our home each person layers the ingredients on the tortilla as they like it. (I like mine full of equal parts veggies and meat. Topped generously with salsa and sour cream. If available I enjoy a bit of guacamole as well.)
- If you fill tortilla to full, you will need a fork and plenty of napkins.
- Roll tortilla tucking ends as you go. They are less likely to break or tear if warmed.
- Enjoy. We eat holding bottom firmly in place. Be cautious when setting down or they can unroll.
- Juices may leak from seams so keep a napkin close by.
by Mission Foods
These are an easy substitute to go low carb or keto.
There are so many options you can use with this basic idea. Substitute chicken, fish or steak, for ground beef. Avocado, refried beans, black beans, corn salsa, rice, cabbage. Any kind of cheese you like. Or use tortilla chips, top and warn for ultimate loaded nachos. Skip the tortillas entirely and add more lettuce for a great salad option. These make a great party food as well. Try some until you find your favorite. Try a new variation for Cinco de Mayo, or make it a game day treat. It’s really fun to try them all.
3 chicken breasts
1 pint mushrooms (sliced if available)
1/2 medium onion
4 Tbsp Butter
Cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup milk or heavy cream
3 – 5 Tbsp flour to thicken sauce
1 cup white wine (we like a good pinot gregio. Usually have a glass with this dinner.)Circulon Radiance Hard-Anodized Nonstick Covered Deep Skillet, 12-Inch, Gray
- Pound chicken into 1/4 in thick.
- Add butter to medium skillet and heat on medium-high.
- Sear chicken to golden color. Set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp more butter to the pan.
- Add chopped mushrooms and onions. Cook until onions are translucent. About 7 minutes.
- Add Tbsps flour to butter until thick paste forms.
- Add white wine and cream soup. Stir until well combined and thickens.
- Layer chicken with swiss cheese then mushrooms and onion sauce mixture.
- Serve warm.
This mixture is really good as skillet dinner. I like a good wild rice blend or egg noodles with it. For an extra easy treat, you can make it as a casserole with noodles or rice. For low-carb and keto, switch the rice to riced cauliflower. Just cook chicken thoroughly before adding other ingredients. Save cheese till the last 5 minutes of baking. Add a green vegetable like spinach, asparagus, green beans, brussel sprout halves, or broccoli. We like broccoli, to have a great all in one dish dinner. If recognizing, or feeding a crowd use chicken thighs and cut into bite-size pieces.
Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set (8-Piece, BPA-free)
Ingredients2 lbs sirloin steak sliced ultra thin
2 medium bell peppers
1/2 onion cut into strips
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 cup beef broth
4 cups cooked rice
2 tsp olive oil
2 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in waterCalphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick Cookware, Deep Skillet, 13-inch, Black
- Once steak and veggies are sliced heat medium skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add steak. Cook 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and onions. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and beef broth.
- Add cornstarch and reduce heat to low.
- When sauce thickens serve warm or cool and freeze for an easy weeknight meal. We serve over rice. Or cauliflower rice for a low carb, keto, option.
This melt in your mouth meal will have people thinking you slaved for hours in a hot kitchen. You can literally serve the meat with a spoon.
Pot it on before work, school, or wherever your busy day takes you. Works great for holiday meals too. I’ve made them for Christmas dinner to everyones delight.
By keeping the ingredients simple you can easily turn leftovers (assuming there are any), into a second meal. Slice it thin add the gravy and serve over noodles, noodles, or mashed potatoes. Shred it with two forks and add bbq sauce, buns and have pulled pork sandwiches.
Make clean up even easier with these.Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners 2 Pack (8 Liners Total)
by Reynolds Wrap
Mom’s Pork Roast Dinner
7 – 8 lb Boston Butt Pork Roast
3/4 of 12 oz can Ginger Ale
1 1/2 tsp Adobo seasoning
2 pkg pork gravy mix (we buy what’s on sale or sometimes store brand)
- Spray crockpot with none stick spray. Lay roast inside.
- Pour Ginger Ale over the top.
- Sprinkle about 1 1/2 tsp Adobo seasoning on top.
- Cover and set Crockpot on high
- Cook about 5 hours then turn down to low.
- Make gravy mix according to directions.
- Serve warm with gravy.
- You can add potatoes and veggies to crock pot in the morning. The meal will be ready when you come home from work, play, errands, etc.
Comfort food doesn’t get any better than this.