International Skinny Dip Day on the second Saturday in July. July 11, 2020, celebrates the natural experience of a clothing-free swim. The day wraps up National Nude Recreation Week.
While many may turn their noses up at a skinny dip, organizers of the day say it’s a long-time tradition. Even famous American patriots such as Benjamin Franklin and John Quincy Adams enjoyed skinny dipping. Add to the list literary geniuses, Henry David Thoreau and Walt Whitman, too.
Interestingly, despite name dropping among skinny dipping’s fashionable founding fathers, the name lacked documentation until the 21st century. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the first recording of the phrase “skinny-dip” in English is in 1947. The phrase seems as shy as some people are about the act.
In 2018, Ireland hosted the largest skinny dipping event. At the benefit, 2505 women swam naked raising funds for an anti-cancer charity.
You might even find out some benefits to skinny dipping. Reported health benefits to skinny dipping or swimming nude:
- More skin is exposed to sunlight and therefore, more Vitamin D.
- When you swim naked, there is no soggy, scratchy, or cold material sticking to your skin.
- Your naked skin also dries much quicker.
HOW TO OBSERVE #InternationalSkinnyDipDay
While skinny dipping may not be for everyone, the event suggests the “Try it you might like it” attitude. If you do, here are some tips:
- Choose an area that’s either A. designated for clothing-optional, or B. completely private.
- It’s a good idea to know the local regulations.
- Don’t forget sunscreen and insect repellent.
- Don’t be drink too much – personally dangerous, and puts others at risk
- Go at night for a sense of adventure and to help the self-conscious person.
Learn more about the event from the American Association for Nude Recreation.
Use #SkinnyDipping or #InternationalSkinnyDipDay to join the conversation on social media.
INTERNATIONAL SKINNY DIP DAY HISTORY
The American Association for Nude Recreation first celebrated the event in 2018. The sponsor, American Association for Nude Recreation, says the activity and the awareness day are so popular it continues to grow. Different international groups challenge each other to host world-record skinny dip events.
- active adults adventures Amazon backyard beach beaches Benjamin Franklin blacks beach Blind Creek Beach Ft. Pierce Florida British Columbia Canada chunky dunk clothing optional enjoyed skinny dipping Gunnison Beach Sandy Hook New Jersey Haulover Beach Miami Florida Henry David Thoreau John Quincy Adams Jolla California lake Little Beach Maui Hawaii naturalist nude nude recreation week Nudist nudist beach skinny dip Vancouver Walt Whitman Wreak Beach