I don’t know about you, but this time of year goes from zero to extreme in a matter of just a few weeks. We just got through Valentine’s Day, Mardi Gras is in full swing right now. Turn around and get Easter and Mothers day, before summer hits. Don’t leave Fathers/Dads Day out and since we live on the Gulf Coast Hurricane season. Like I needed one more thing to be prepared for! I included pins and photos that I do not own. The recipes work well every time I used them. Thank you fellow bloggers for these great recipes, tips, and ideas. If I missed including your link drop me an email.
- Get organized. I’m a list person. I make a to do and cross chores off as I complete them. This time of year I make a big job list, with a smaller one for each room. So my big job list has, den, bedroom, kitchen, pantry, entry way, front hall closet, living room….etc. in kitchen the regular tasks are augmented with larger, deeper, cleaning, by task so I get it all done. The crossing off makes me feel more productive, than a list that feels like forever to complete. It also reduces the stress to get it done and not forget anything.
- Common vs. Private & Fabreeze and Magic Erasers are our friends. I try to finish all tasks in common areas of the house first. Living Room, kitchen, entry way, front hall closet, dinning room, all make top of the list. I leave private areas like bedrooms or master bath, my closet last. That way if I run out of time before company comes or unexpected circumstances occur, the places seen and “lived” in, i’m putting my best foot forward. If I don’t get my own closet sorted its only known to me, not a guest who wants to put sweater in the front hall closet.
- Make things manageable and go room by room. I start at the front door and porch then work my way back. Remove clutter, dead plants, cracked flower pot, or whatever then sweep porch to remove sand, salt, leaves… A good pressure wash from you hose will do wonders. If you stored the cushions during the frigid temperatures of winter, its time to add them back.
- Incorporate deeper cleans with 20 extra minutes or so for task. While unloading dishwasher, remove others from cabinet, wipe cabinet inside and out. Replace contact paper if you use it. Arrange dishes if changes needed when putting away. 1 to 3 cabinets an evening, makes it an easier task than all day in kitchen. Clean fridge before trip to grocery store. Much easier with less stuff in both freezer and refrigerator.Make those bubbles fly.
- I do floors last as I finish a room, or spot clean if big job like cabinets in kitchen. (I gonna do them all again anyway at the end). I use activities like shampooing carpets as workout time. The machine is heavy and you can really work arms, legs, and core, with this. Try standing one spot and get furthest reach without moving your feet. If done right you’ll feel it back, arms,legs, hips, core, will all be sore the next day.
- Remember to have fun! Yes, spring cleaning is serious, for sanity, health, keeping up with important things for the kids, and answering the 300th ‘mom’ question, when they can’t find….Turn up the volume on the stereo get the kids involved. A great time to teach sharing as we share toys, clothes, and even some food, for the less fortunate in your community.
7. I’m not going to waste space on here but, please know these work great and please give credit to these wonderful bloggers.
41 homemade cleaners…these work really well
I use magic erasers on almost every surface. They work great on counters, cabinets, hand wash dishes, bathroom sink and counter, now they even make telescoping pole for easy reach of base boards. I’ve got to see if I can attach magic eraser, and dryer sheet. They work very well on base boards.
8. I do kitchen, bath, pantry, laundry room, in that order and sometimes laundry room can wait until bedrooms are done to cope with any found laundry. This also good out of way space to store donations, if you don’t have a garage.
9. Clean out closet first if you can. I try to do this first to make space for the other stuff I’ve left around the room. I also make updated list of occasion cards I have, and any gifts I’ve already acquired, so I don’t over buy. By doing so I rarely get to an occasion where I’m searching or overspending. My biggest responsibility is picking the correct wrapping.
10. Finish with floors. Vaccines and shampoo yourself, or have company that offer free rooms like Stanley steamer do them. A steam mop is very handy. Kills bacteria and viruses, without harsh chemicals near,pets and grandbabies. It is an expense, however the steam kills bacteria and viruses that lurk in in your carpet or other floor sufaces. You get stray dust mites and any other icky things you probably don’t want to know about. You don’t have to worry about an indoor picnic, or a blanket fort. Enjoy the product of your labors the whole year through. It shortens my task list, and looks great in about 15 min for quick pick up. 45 min with vacume, sweep, MOP,and dishes. If it all has places to go it won’t be cluttering the rest of the house. A
What’s your secret(s) to a clean house?