Since 2011, National Ugly Christmas Sweater Day has grown to be an international event. Now occurring on the third Friday of December, the celebration gives holiday lovers worldwide a chance to wear their ugly Christmas sweaters.
In 2014, they partnered with Save the Children in their “Make the World Better with a Sweater” campaign.
Each year, ugly Christmas sweater wearers, decorate, shop, and do their darndest to out ugly last year’s ugliest sweater. Whether they sport the most lights or colors, bells or characters, ugly sweater wearers find the most ribbon and felt ladened sweaters and festoon them with glitter so blinding no Dustbuster invented will capture the wave left behind. The sweaters serve as beacons of light so bright, Rudolph himself will someday be out of a job.
However, don’t be sad. So often Rudolph is featured on many of the sweaters. Elfs, donkeys, snowmen, and many other holiday characters we love and adore find their way to these ugly monstrosities. It’s all part of the fascination with the holiday. So, join in the fun. Celebrate and donate, too.
HOW TO OBSERVE #UglyChristmasSweaterDay
Try these tips to take the prize:
- Animal or cartoon characters with a holiday theme give sweaters a kitsch feel. Think reindeer, snowmen, mice, kittens or elves.
- Select ridiculous colors. The more they clash, the better.
- Embellish. Scratch that. Over-embellish! Pom-poms, bells, felt, tinsel, or any other glittery, jingly items lying around the house.
- Add a collar, dickey, or ruffle.
- Electrify it! Put Rudolph to shame and go to the head of the team with bright, flashing lights!
- Give it some 80s flair with shoulder pads.
Wear your ugliest Christmas sweater. Use #UglyChristmasSweaterDay or #ChristmasSweaterDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL UGLY CHRISTMAS SWEATER DAY HISTORY
In 2011, ugly Christmas sweater lovers created National Ugly Christmas Sweater Day as a way to lighten up the busy holidays and to show off their absurdly, ugly sweaters. The day has grown in popularity and is celebrated worldwide.
NATIONAL CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE DAY
National Chocolate Cupcake Day on October 18th annually celebrates the sweetness of small chocolate cakes. With a dollop of frosting, one sweet serving satisfying chocolate and dessert lovers!
Cupcakes have also been known to be called:
- Fairy Cakes
- Patty Cakes
- Cup Cakes (different from Cupcakes (one-word))
Cupcakes can be traced back to 1796 when a recipe notation of “a cake to be baked in small cups” was written in American Cookery, by Amelia Simmons. The earliest known documentation of the term cupcake was in 1828 in Seventy-five Receipts for Pastry, Cakes, and Sweetmeats in Eliza Leslie’s Receipts cookbook.
Bakers initially baked their cupcakes in heavy pottery cups. Today, some still use individual ramekins, small coffee mugs, large teacups, or other small ovenproof pottery-type dishes for baking their cupcakes.
Chocolate cupcakes come in a variety of flavors, too. Of course, there’s always the standard chocolate cupcake. But why stop there on a holiday?
- Chocolate caramel cupcakes satisfy that extra cry for sweetness.
- Peanut butter chocolate cupcakes are the snackers delight.
- Get devilishly good cupcakes with Devil’s Food.
- Cool things off a bit with chocolate mint recipes, too.
- And you can’t forget chocolate orange cupcakes. Citrus brightens the flavor of any chocolate recipe.
HOW TO OBSERVE #ChocolateCupcakeDay
Celebrate by trying one of the following tempting recipes while watching an episode of the Food Network reality-based competition show, Cupcake Wars. Remember to invite friends or family over to share. That’s how we like to #CelebrateEveryDay!
Use #ChocolateCupcakeDay to post on social media.
Date When Celebrated : Always October 11 th
It’s My Party Day is today. Let’s have a party and celebrate. Do you really need a reason to have a party? Me neither, so let’s get this party started!
What a great opportunity to have some fun. It’s a party day. You can make it simple, or elaborate. Invite family and friends. Being mid-October, a Fall or Halloween theme is in order. So whether it’s to de-stress, you made it through the week, or just an excuse to get together, make it a good time. It’s your party after all.
Did you Know? Teen star Lesley Gore sang #1 pop music song It’s My Party in May, 1963. At the time, Lesley was just 16.
Life is too short. Today is It’s My Party Day. So, let’s party on into the night!
Origin of It’s My Party Day:
Our research did not find the creator, or the origin of this day.
We suspect there is some link to pop star Lesley Gore’s 1963 song It’s My Party. It’s only a hunch. We did not find any supporting documentation. And, the song was a #1 hit in May, 1963 (not October).
This day in History
Space Shuttle Challenger astronaut Kathryn Sullivan became the first American woman to walk in space. (1984)
World Smile Day
The first Friday of October every year is celebrated around the globe as World Smile Day. The unofficial holiday encourages people to do acts of kindness to spread good will and cheer.
First started in 1999 by the creator of the smiley, Harvey Ball, the holiday celebrates the intent behind the now universally recognized icon – to bring a smile of the faces of people around the world. The purpose of the holiday was the move away from the commercialization of the smiley and to use it as a symbol of kindness and affection.
The smiley made its debut in 1963 as a way to increase the morale of the employees of a life insurance company. Today, it is one of the most popular nonverbal ways to convey joy, happiness and cheer. The smiley face began as a bright yellow circle with two dots to represent eyes and a black line that represents a smiling mouth.
Today, there are many different versions of the smiley, representing many other human emotions such a sadness, surprise, worry and laughter. In modern texting smileys are used to express emotions in online conversations on a smartphone or on a computer. The practice has its origin in Japan, and the smileys and other icons are known as emoji.
How to Celebrate?
- Make people around you smile.
- Do a random act of kindness. Buy a stranger a coffee. Compliment someone. Give your seat up to someone on the bus.
- Surprise someone in your family with a visit, cook a meal for them, or do something special for them.
- Volunteer your time and/ or money at a local nonprofit organization.
Did you know?
…that babies are born with the ability to smile?
National Taco Day
The National Taco Day Gift Set is back. In Taco Bells all over the US – and that is a fact. It includes four tacos of the iconic variety: two crunchy and two with even more notoriety. We’re speaking, of course, of the beloved DLT. The gift set carries two that are flavored Nacho Cheese.
Eat it all up or bestow it upon a friend, because for only $5, there’s no wrong way to spend. If your loved one lives far, there’s no need to fret. We’ve got other ways to gift, on that you can bet. Send a digital gift card for five dollars plus tax, even add a personal message to include with the snacks.
Growing up and even just two days ago Tacos are a fun easy dinner. Get our homemade recipe here.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1/4 c water
- 1/4 medium onion diced
- 1/4 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 – 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce chopped
- 1 pkg flour tortillas
- 1 pint sour cream 1 8oz jar of your favorite salsa.
- Cheddar or Mexican blend shredded chesse
- Brown fround beef over medium heat. Add pkg taco season and 1/4 c water. Cook another 5-7 minutes allowing water to evaporate.
- Cut all vegetable toppings and place in separate bowls.
- Open pkg of tortillas and warm for 1 minutes microwave.
- Leave spoons in each ingredient to add to tortillas.In our home each person layers the ingredients on the tortilla as they like it. (I like mine full of equal parts veggies and meat. Topped generously with salsa and sour cream. If available I enjoy a bit of guacamole as well.)
- If you fill tortilla to full, you will need a fork and plenty of napkins.
- Roll tortilla tucking ends as you go. They are less likely to break or tear if warmed.
- Enjoy. We eat holding bottom firmly in place. Be cautious when setting down or they can unroll.
- Juices may leak from seams so keep a napkin close by.
by Mission Foods
These are an easy substitute to go low carb or keto.
There are so many options you can use with this basic idea. Substitute chicken, fish or steak, for ground beef. Avocado, refried beans, black beans, corn salsa, rice, cabbage. Any kind of cheese you like. Or use tortilla chips, top and warn for ultimate loaded nachos. Skip the tortillas entirely and add more lettuce for a great salad option. These make a great party food as well. Try some until you find your favorite. Try a new variation for Cinco de Mayo, or make it a game day treat. It’s really fun to try them all.
On a dark, and spooky night…. Maybe you are hosting a costume party, heading for one or just treating your trick or treaters these songs will put you in the Halloween mood. So download your favorites and turn up the sound. I’ve also included some of the movies and shows if your in the mood for it. Great for adults and some the kids will love too.
Movies and Tv Shows
Treat your family or friends to one of these great finds tonight. Great for slumber parties. We stayed up camped in the living room just catch some of these.
1 Yellow or White cake mix ( I usually use a Duncan Hines)Butter, eggs and oil or water as directed.
1 lg container of cool whip
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup milk or heavy cream
Cinnamon to sprinkle on top.
- Mix batter according to direction.
- Pour into pan. I like a 9″ x 13″ pan myself.
- Bake as directed.
- Cool completely
- In separate bowl mix your 3 milks or tres leche, 1 can sweetened condensed, 1 can evaporated, and 1 cup regular milk or heavy cream with a wisk. Set aside.
- Once cake is completely cool use a large wooden spoon handle to pole holes through out cake.
- Gently pour milk mixture over the back of your spoon to ensure you don’t make a crater in your cake.
- Let rest till all milk mixture is absorbed. Yes it will all disappear below the surface.
- Spread on lg container cool whip, in even layer on top of cake.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
Enjoy this moist, delicious cake any time. I even made it for my husbands birthday cake. Just be careful with candles.