National Hot Dog Day in July. July 28, 2022, celebrates a summertime staple on a bun. Enjoy one piping hot and add some relish and mustard to go! One thing we want to know – is it a sandwich or not?
Celebrated every year during National Hot Dog Month, this day pays homage to the frankfurter, the footlong or wienie, wiener, wienerwurst or even red hot. They taste just as great no matter what we call it.
Over 25 million hot dogs are sold at baseball stadiums each year.
We make them a variety of ways. They’re portable and easy to make. While many of us prefer them grilled or toasted over a fire, we also boil, pan-fry, and rotisserie-cook them. The list of toppings are numerous – from the basic ketchup, mustard or relish to onions, mayonnaise, cheese bacon, chili and sauerkraut – the list keeps growing. Adults and children alike love them, too.
Then there’s me. My family likes them but I simply cannot. My mother says I’ve rejected them since day 1. Normally toddlers get these cut up as a easy food, apparently I have been refusing them since then. I’ve tried lots of brands and styles of cooking, and a variety of toppings, but the outcome is always the same. So if you love these wonders of food enjoy one for me would you? Can I have a Brat instead?
On May 31, 2012,a world record was set for the most expensive hot dog. The “California Capitol City Dawg” sold for $145.49 at Capitol Dawg in Sacramento, California. The “California Capitol City Dawg” features:
- A grilled 18″ all-beef, in natural casing frank from Chicago
- served on a fresh-baked herb and oil focaccia roll spread with white truffle butter, then grilled
- topped with whole grain mustard from France, garlic and herb mayonnaise
- sauteed chopped shallots, organic mixed baby greens, maple syrup
- marinated/fruitwood smoked uncured bacon from New Hampshire
- chopped tomatoes, sweetened dried cranberries, chopped tomato
- expensive moose cheese from Sweden
- basil olive oil/pear-cranberry-coconut balsamic vinaigrette and ground peppercorn
- Proceeds from the sale of each 3 lb. super dog were donated to the Shriners Hospitals for Children.
7-Eleven sells the most grilled hot dogs in North America – 100 million annually.
HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL HOT DOG DAY
Have a hot dog and post on social media using #NationalHotDogDay to encourage others to join in.
Share your favorite toppings. Do you like yours blackened or just done? Tell us where the best hot dogs near you are. Give the restaurant or vendor a shout out. What makes them special? Is it their toppings? Do they use a better frank? We want to know.
HISTORY OF NATIONAL HOT DOG DAY
The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council created National Hot Dog Day. The day was established in 1991 to coincide with a hot dog lunch on Capitol Hill every year on a Wednesday in July.