Each year in October when the air starts to get a nip to it, National Chili Month comes around to warm us up. What a perfect time to honor the ultimate chilly weather snack, just as winter is right around the corner.
Chili is the ULTIMATE comfort food. Close your eyes and picture this: the first snow of the year is falling outside your window, you’re curled up next to the fireplace with a cozy blanket, your favorite movie on, and a big bowl of steamy, hot chili in your lap with a side of cornbread. You’re lying if you say that’s NOT what you wish you were doing right now.
- Chili is packed with protein. The meat you put in it contains protein, plus there are usually a few different kinds of beans in chili as well. So even if you make a vegetarian version… you’re still set with that bean protein!
- Fiber is another important diet staple, and chili has that, too. The chilies, peppers, and beans in the dish all have plenty of fiber in them. Fiber keeps you regular and slows the rate at which your body absorbs sugar.
- Chili is a great source of iron, which is something most of us don’t get enough of in our daily diets. Iron circulates oxygen through the body, and a lack of it can mean brittle nails, dull skin and thin hair.
- Are you trying to lose weight? Chili is a great option for you, because it’s filling, and it’s so delicious it’s hard to believe it’s healthy. The capsicum (aka the red pepper) in chili is what helps us lose weight. It raises your body’s metabolic rate, and aids in digestion and circulation.
- There’s a reason besides the flavor that chili makes us happy! Chilies can cause your body’s endorphin and serotonin levels to rise, sometimes significantly. Some people even say they get a euphoric feeling after finishing a big, hot bowl of chili. You can’t go wrong!
HOW TO OBSERVE
Enjoy the following “tried and true” chili recipes:
While National Chili Day is in February, good chili always bring warm memories and comfort.
Use #NationalChiliMonth to post your most delectable meal on social media. In case you need a little extra push on why you need to have as much chili as possible this month… it’s healthy for you!