Each year, Family Fun Month is celebrated throughout the month of August. It is the opportune time to enjoy family with extra fun and activities.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Make some time this month for family fun. Have a movie night, make your pizza, family game night, make your own ice cream, or sundaes. These simple activities bring us closer.
My parents were considered very old fashioned when we were growing up. We are at least one meal together, it was prepared together and we ate together. Conversation flowed about the day, school, upcoming plans, and what movie it game were we engaging in next.
Those conversations yielded values, appreciation, respect, the value of a dollar, and a lack of reliance on technologies. We learned life skills without knowing it. How to cook, communicate, problem solving, compromise and fairness. If you had asked any of us at the time I’m quite sure we were oblivious, but those lessons have seen us through more than one life challenging event.
So laugh, love and live! As the years go by you’ll always have those memories. So no matter what else comes along the path of life no one can take that from you.
You may want to :
- Order pizza, better still make your own. Everyone can join in, and watch a movie.
- Go camping
- Take a vacation
- Go for ice cream or make your own Vanilla, Banana split, or Ice Cream Soda
- Enjoy a backyard campfire. Don’t forget the S’mores. Everyone loves roasting marshmallows!
- Build a backyard fort
- Family bike ride
- Day trip to a Zoo or Aquarium
- Day at the park. Find a National Park in your neighborhood.
- Make a talent show
- Cook meals together try some easy ones like Tacos or Spaghetti
- Have a karaoke night
- Family Game night, no not on tv. Break out Clue, Life, Dominos, Uno, Skip-Bo, or a jigsaw puzzle.
Use your imagination, spend time together and have fun !! Post on social media using #FamilyFunMonth to encourage others to join in.
The origins of Family Fun Month have not been determined. Who cares? Use this as a great chance to make lasting memories. If 2020 has taught us anything it should be to remember who is important to you and never take the time you have for granted.