Every May 20 National Pick Strawberries Day is observed. There is something special about the taste of a sun-warmed strawberry picked straight off of the vine.
Strawberry picking time is usually between late April and throughout the summer, depending on what part of the United States you live. When harvesting strawberries, you want to look for the bright red, firm and plump ones.
- Strawberries are members of the rose family
- Strawberries are the only fruit with their seeds on the outside
- Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C
- Strawberries are low-fat, low in calories and a good source of fiber, folic acid and potassium
- Strawberries help can help fight bad cholesterol and may reduce inflammation
- The first strawberries were grown in France in the late 18th century. Prior to the 18th century, wild strawberries were collected and commonly used as a fruit source.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Enjoy some freshly picked strawberries! Use #PickStrawberriesDay to post on social media.
Want more Strawberries?
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day
- Strawberry Shortcake Day
- Strawberry Cream Pie
- Strawberry Ice Cream Day
- National Strawberry Day
- Pick Strawberries Day
- California Strawberry Day
- National Strawberry Month
- Strawberry Rhubarb Wine