National Blueberry Popsicle Day on September 2nd also kicks off National Blueberry Popsicle Month. Scheduled in the midst of the dog days of summer, it’s a delicious way to cool off. Purchase a box of blueberry-flavored Popsicles or make your own. Either way, the treat will be a tasty one! With the end of summer at hand, now is the time to celebrate this National Day.
In San Francisco, California, in 1905, 11-yr-old Frank Epperson was outside on his porch, mixing water with a white powdered flavoring to make soda. Upon going inside, he left it there on the porch with the stirring stick still in it. That night the temperature reached a record low and the following morning, Frank discovered the drink had frozen to the stick.
Years later, in 1922, Epperson introduced his treat at a fireman’s ball where it was a huge success. Then in 1923, he made and sold his frozen treat-on-a-stick at an amusement park in Alameda, California. Epperson applied for a patent in 1924 for his frozen confectionery, which he called “Epsicle” ice pop. He then renamed it “Popsicle“.
HOW TO OBSERVE #BlueberryPopsicleDay
Be sure to get yourself a blueberry Popsicle and use #BlueberryPopsicleDay to post on social media. Here is an Easy Homemade Blueberry Popsicles Recipe to try out. We have some other terrific ideas for a berry blueberry celebration:
- Share a Blueberry Popsicle recipe with us. If you do, we will be sure to give you credit, too!
- Bring blueberry popsicles to share at work, school or with friends.
- Order some blueberries from your favorite store.
- Take a selfie as you enjoy your frozen treat.
- Bring blueberry Popsicles to a game or the beach in a cooler packed with ice.
- Add a blueberry Popsicle to your favorite carbonated clear soda. It will cool your drink and flavor it, too!
Don’t forget to share your Blueberry Popsicle celebration on social media, too. Use #NationalBlueberryPopsicleDay.