It’s August 16th, National Tell a Joke Day. Find a way to tickle your funny bone today.
While the origins of this funny holiday are unknown, feel free to laugh, giggle, chorale, and give those around you a smile. It’s safe to assume the creator of this holiday was endevoring to make the wield a happier place.
A joke can be of different types. They can be verbal, as in the case of a one-liner, a whole story or in the form a question and answer, where the answer provides the humor. Jokes can also be physical such as in the case of a prank or a practical joke, where the act rather than the words provide the humor. Either way, the main purpose of a joke is to entertain by providing humor, even though jokes can sometimes be used to make serious commentary like in the case of satire.
Jokes have been an integral part of human history and many great minds have spent time and energy in trying to understand what makes jokes funny.
The day is known in the US as National Tell A Joke Day, and not to be confused with International Joke Day on July, 1.
A great sense of humor can be a good way to deal with the ups and downs life throws at us. Keeping a your sense of humor in difficult situations can make them even seem easier. It is often appreciated by those around you.
How to Celebrate?
- Every time you meet someone on this day, tell them a joke. Just make sure the jokes are appropriate to the setting.
- Pick up a joke book and spend your lunch hour reading it.
- Watch your favorite comedians do their thing either on TV or on stage and partake in a few hours of humorous entertainment.
- Fancy yourself as a comedian?Why not take comedy and Improv classes to hone in your skills?
- Play a harmless prank on your co-worker or friend.
Did You Know…
…that the study of laughter and humor and their therapeutic effects on the human body is known as Gelotology?
Trouble knocked at the door, but, hearing laughter, hurried away.”– Benjamin FranklinSome excerpts and information provided by https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/fun/tell-a-joke-day