This is a savory meal that will make you forget you’re dieting. I make mine low-carb for our diabetic friendly family. I make it with more meat and veggies. We skip the regular mashed potatoes. For a low carb or keto version, you can do parmesan and cheddar cheeses with mashed cauliflower now available in most stores.
Another trick is to use red or yellow potatoes instead. The texture is slightly different, but the carb count is lower and they are low on the glycemic index. What’s that? It’s a chart of how easily your body can convert things to sugar.
This is a great way to stay on target. It gives regular shoppers alternatives to high sugar and simple carb foods. We’ve been using this method for over 10 years. Best of all lots of items can be substituted into Keto and Paleo diets.
We started using this in conjunction with low carb dieting to keep type 2 diabetes in check. We happily report it has taken us back to pre-diabetic status. We have both lost weight and feel better even when we don’t stay as strictly to diet as we should. Hey, sometimes I just need chocolate ok.
Jen’s Easy Shepard’s Pie
1 1/2 lb ground chuck or round
1 package Steam and mash Ore-Ida potatoes Frozen (or low carb substitutions. Parmesan cauliflower is really good).
1 pkg frozen mixed vegetables (California mix is better for carb counts)
4 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Italian Seasoning (dried)
1 cup chopped onion
2 pkg Brown gravy mix
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt (I skip this there is enough in gravy mix.)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/3c water (if it’s too wet it’s a big mess)
My mom just got one and she loves it!
- Heat 2 Tbsp Olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add Beef, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Brown beef, about 5 min.
- If not using cast iron or oven safe pan, turn into cassarole dish.
- Mix 2 pkg brown gravy mix with 1/3 cup water. Mix well and pour over beef and vegetable mix. Stir well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Make topping with mashed potatoes or cauliflower.
- For topping add 4 Tbsp butter, 1/2 c milk, and dash of salt and pepper to potatoes. (If using cauliflower add parmesan and cheddar cheeses, salt and pepper.)
- Spread potatoes or cauliflower over filling. Cover completely.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F about 20 minutes.
- Top with sharp cheddar cheese.
- Put under broiler in oven for 5 minutes. Watch to make sure top is not over done. Serve hot.
These are great to freeze to. We put them in those aluminum pie pans or sealing dish. Freeze until needed. Simply defrost and warm. Those pans go easily from freezer to oven and table. If it seems flimsy simply place on on a baking sheet for ease of carrying