So with Valentines day fast approaching most women have already purchased their gifts or have a good idea of what to get for Valentines. I for instance only have to buy cards for hubby and friends whom get gifts. Now if you ask my hubby or most men not only don’t know what they are getting anyone. For a large percentage they didn’t realize the date was anywhere close. So as they are figuring out what to get, you can help with input. They are actually releaved to be “told what to buy”. Subtlultey is a lost cause here.
Jewelry is one of the favorites , but there are some distinct differences out there and you need information to help you, help him to have a vague idea down to a specific piece you have tried on or like. If the later, let a sales person give you all the info on the piece, then leave card in a place he’s sure to find. That goes for an add you saw too.
Reguadles of who is picking out the piece it is important to follow these tips.
- Fashion or fine if it’s on an open sales floor or made of base metals in China it will unfortunately not last very long. I know that it’s more expensive, however buying fine will give a reminder through many years how much you are loved. That little expense I guarantee you have earned as his/her partner. Fine Jewelry not only features real gemstones, real gold, silver, or platinum, it will not turn your skin green and will become a cherished momentous to hand down to generations to come.
- Big terms like exclusive collection,open hears, Tawalski , Leo, LeVian, and assorted collections are called such for precision cuts inflicted, more faucets than in a normal cut made by a designer which may or may not improve the quality. Some like LeVian have great examples of high quality gems. Equiaite craftmanship, and rarity are the hallmarks of this brand. If they were good enough for Persian royalty, where they got their start, chances are it will be the envy of all your friends.
- Lastly there are simple signs of quality to look for in any piece. In the USA all metals are required to be stamped. Gold is 10k, 14,18k or 24k. For durability reasons you should stay 14k and under. Pure silver and gold are both soft other metals like copper,zinc, nickel, or others are added for durability. Sterling silver for instance, is .925 that is 75% pure silver. White and yellow golds are done the same way. Even platinum has to stamped”plat” there are others but these are the most common.
- Gems in fine jewelry are real, simulated, or created. The most valuable are determined by color, clarity, and sparkle, like diamonds. Real gems can range in color and have differing hardness. A lot of more expensive or softer stones are created in a lab. Color, size, quality are the same. A simulant is glass or paste. These or plastic is used in fashion jewelry.
- The best gifts are the ones she’ll wear over and over. Which option you choose can be a factor. A necklace or pendant are normally safest unless she is handling small children. Rings need to be sized and generally need maintenance every couple years. It is recommended to have evaluation from jeweler every six moths. This will lead to fewer repairs. Even the most careful of us need some annual check up and or repair. Like auto repairs the earlier it’s caught the less it will run in repairs.
- Some women adore hearts for Valentine’s, others may prefer the newer styles of Pandora, LeVian, Simply Love by Vera Lang, Open Hearts by Jane Seymour, Love Knot, Past Present Future, Ever US to name a few collections out there.
- Prices will vary if you go to a jewelry only store like, Kayes, Jared, Sales, etc. Will carry more of said collections, and will carry more expensive items. To save try jewelry stores like JcPenney, Kohls, Sears, Some Sam’s Clubs,and Macy’s will be more affordable. I do not recommend Wal-Mart or Kmart, over some big box stores simply based on consumer experiences I’ve seen over the years of my career.
- Not all women want jewelry, I know it sounds funny to some of but please remember your Valentine actually loves you enough to spend quite a bit of time finding you the perfect gift. Remember the main part of the gift is the love it took to get it. As one of my girlfriend’s likes to say,’when a two year old hands you a phone saying they are calling for you’ you answer the phone. Leave pictures of what you want in places he can’t help but see them l. I accept all gifts because I would not be able to take my husbands love back to a store. So what do you want this Valentine’s Day. Comment your favorites, and if you have jewelry questions i’ll try to answer, I do not work for any stores. May you have all the love you deserve…..yes that includes Cheerios breakfast in bed from the kids.